Due to the recent coronavirus outbreak, to ensure patient safety, the way we normally offer appointments will change temporarily.
Open surgery will close from Monday 16th March until further notice. If you feel you require to see a GP urgently, please phone on the day and a GP will call you back to discuss how best to manage your situation.
- Open surgery will be closed from Monday 16th March until further notice.
- Please phone the surgery in the morning if you feel you require an urgent appointment. To ensure patient safety, you will be contacted by a GP via telephone who will discuss how best to manage your situation. Please do not come to the surgery if you have symptoms of coronavirus or may have been exposed. More information can be found HERE
- If you need to speak to a GP regarding non urgent issues, please contact the surgery before 12pm. Due to increasing demand, we have introduced a cap on the number of routine call backs that we can safely manage each day. We open at 8am and take telephone calls throughout the morning until we reach capacity or until 12pm. The point at which capacity is reached may vary depending on the number of calls we receive. You may be asked to contact us the following day if we have reached capacity and your query is non urgent. A GP will contact you which may involve advice over the phone, or you may be invited up to the surgery to a timed slot to see a doctor. This arrangement will of course put pressure on the phone lines, so please be patient. For urgent matters the emergency doctor will be available.
- Routine nursing appointments and phlebotomy will operate as normal, but patients should not attend if feeling unwell or have any cough/flu like symptoms.
- Automatic check-in screens have been turned off and magazines and books removed from the waiting area. On arriving at the surgery you should proceed to the reception desk, where staff will ask screening questions about COVID -19.
- Please help us to keep our community safe. We are trying to minimise unnecessary trips to the surgery to protect both patients and staff. We would encourage you to use the online repeat medication ordering service leaving plenty of time for routine prescriptions. If you are not registered for the online ordering system you can still request in the normal manner but please do not attend the surgery if you are suffering with cold and flu like symptoms. Please ask a relative to attend on your behalf.
- Housebound patients may still request home visits for urgent care in the same manner.
- This is an unprecedented and fast moving situation and further changes may need to be made in light of developments. We will endeavour to keep you updated on these. Please be patient and kind to our reception staff during this time. They are doing their best under enormous pressure.
Thank you for your understanding during these unprecedented times
You said, we did
We are always listening to you and are committed to acting on your feedback whenever possible. You can leave us feedback via the practice suggestion box, website feedback form or by letter. We want to share some of your feedback and patient-led changes we have made in response to your comments.
You said... "My sincere thanks and gratitude towards the service and care both myself and family have received from your practice. It’s very comforting and reassuring that when we need help most we can trust on the service we consistently receive. I have had an appointment at short notice, referral to the hospital, seen on a day by turning up at 8am and today a call back from Dr Thomson that was literally within 15 mins! I also want to thank Zoe for her helpful manner and friendly approach. I hear many people complain about their surgeries ~ I hand on heart can’t and would like to thank you all." - April 2019
You said... "The building is in need of updating". We did... Invested in the building by refreshing interior decor.
You said... "The receptionists are amazing and work honestly". Sept 2018
You said... "We are so pleased with all the changes to the surgery. Open surgery is working well so far, reception staff are so nice and try to accommodate everyone. The Doctors are so lovely and understanding. The nursing staff are so caring. Well done for all the great improvements over the last couple of years."
You said... "Having a specimen box would save patient's blocking others waiting to see the receptionist". We did... Add a specimen deposit box to the reception desk where you can post your samples and save any queuing. Please always remember to have your name and date of birth written or they cannot be sent!
You said... "Thanks for running the Open Surgery in the mornings. Without it I would have been far less likely to have come in to see a doctor and that would have delayed the discovery of a life changing illness. Knowing that you are going to be seen in the morning - even after waiting a while can be a lot better than trying to phone for an appointment some time later on". James, Mar 2018
You said... "I had problems in the past to get an appointment on the day. If open surgery works within the surgery I would like to see it continue" Anon, Mar 2018
You said... "Bringing back open surgery has been very valuable. Knowing I can turn up and will be seen even if I have to wait an hour is very comforting". "The text reminder and ability to cancel an appointment by replying is great" Rebecca, Feb 2018
You said... "Thank you for always trying your hardest in these unprecedented times. It's hard for everyone so we need to try and get through it together as positively as we can. Your Receptionists are great, always helpful and they must make your jobs and the running the practice so much easier. Hang in there, we need you all more than ever!" J MacEwan, Feb 2018
You said... "I have been consistently impressed by your human thoughtful ethos. The general approach was very consistent. Each took time to listen, check history and most importantly create a sense of space and time even in just a few minutes"
You said.... "when ordering repeat prescriptions online, please add the option to select the usual pharmacy I collect my prescription from". We did... just that!
You said.... "it would be helpful to have an up to date list of holiday closure information on your website". We did... Added the year ahead's closures to our website
Edinburgh Carers Support Team
Do you look after a friend or relative? There is support available for unpaid carers, please view the attached for further information
Support for unpaid carers
Volunteers - Student Training
Baronscourt Surgery is involved in teaching medical and nursing students which requires willing patients to help.
If you would be interesting in offering some time please click here.