Local Community Services
MENTAL HEALTH / SELF HELP
iThrive is a one stop shop with useful self help tools to help you manage your Mental Health
Telephone Based Support - Living Life 0800 328 9655 - A free telephone based service for people feeling low, anxious or stressed.
Moodjuice http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk This website is designed to help you think about emotional problems and work towards solving them.
Living Life to The Full http://www.llttf.com self help course for anxiety and depression, information leaflets and workbooks.
Get Self Help http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk Online CBT course with worksheets, guides, videos and self help MP3s
NHS Inform Mental Health Self Help http://nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/mental-health CBT based self help guides on a variety of mental health issues.
Crossreach Counselling www.crossreach.org.uk, Tel: 0131 552 8901
- Anxiety, depression, workplace problems, perinatal service
- Self refer or third party
- No fixed charge, contributions encouraged
- Simpson House, 52 Queen Street, EH2 3NS
- North East Edinburgh Counselling Service
- For residents of NE Edinburgh only
- Free but donations welcomed
- 31 Haddington Place, Leith Walk, Edinburgh EH7 4AG
- www.neecscounselling.org.uk, Tel: 0131 557 4478/ 07498 520377
- PF Counselling Service (Pastoral Foundation)
- Donation basis, £5-£45 depending on circumstances
- 8 Balcarres Street, Edinburgh, EH14 1BB
- www.pfcounselling.org.uk, Tel: 0131 447 0876
- Wellspring www.wellspring-scotland.co.uk, Tel: 0131 553 6660
- Individual, couple and group sessions
- Fees on sliding scale, between £25 and £75 per hour based on income, £10 admin fee
- 13 Smiths Place, Edinburgh EH6 8NT
- Hope Park Counselling Centre
- They ask for a contribution for each weekly counseling session of between £2 and £30. Ability to pay does not affect your access to counseling.
- 8 Hope Park Square, Edinburgh EH8 9NW, Tel: 0131 650 6696
- Counselling in Communities
- Depression, anxiety, bereavement, abuse or violence, relationship difficulties
- They ask for a contribution for each weekly counseling session of between £10 and £45. Ability to pay does not affect your access to counseling.
- They are based at the Pleasance, EH8 9RR
- They also offer outdoors counseling
NHS Lothian Mental Health Information Station www.services.nhslothian.scot/mentalhealthinformationstation
Tel: 0131 537 8688 It provides a source of support, information and signposting. It is staffed by mental health specialists from the Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP), peer support workers, volunteers and third sector partners.
Juno: http://www.juno.uk.com/ Useful information about perinatal mental health and where to find support, including their network of peer support groups.
Edinburgh Women’s Aid: https://edinwomensaid.co.uk Tel: 0131 315 8110 The drop-in and phone support provides information about choices concerning domestic abuse, such as housing options, benefits, welfare rights and legal issues, as well as emotional support.
Mental Health Assessment Service (MHAS) - Tel: 0131 537 6000/ 0131 286 8137
24 hr service offering face to face mental health assessment at RIE /REH
Edinburgh Samaritans Tel: 0330 094 5717 www.samaritans.org/scotland/branches/edinburgh/
A full list of helpful apps can be found under the Apps section on the iThrive website, cost varies across apps but there are many free and subsidised ones also.
Mindfulness based app with meditation and relaxation techniques to help with anxiety and depression
Cost: Monthly £9.99 Yearly £49.99. If unemployed in the UK then can get free premium subscription
The Worry Tree app uses cognitive behaviour therapy tools to help you manage your worries and create long-term habits to improve your mental health and wellbeing
Feeling Good App
The Feeling Good App is an NHS approved app which is available to everyone living in Edinburgh and Lothians. The app is a series of relaxing audio tracks (Positive Mental Training) which are evidence-based for aiding recovery from depression, anxiety and stress. The programme also improves sleep, confidence and coping, increasing mental wellbeing and resilience.
Cost: Free – Username edinchpf1 Password: positive
5 Ways to Wellbeing, tips to get that balance:
Daily d.o.s.e infograph - brain chemical help!
Happiness or lack thereof affects everyone and can contribute to poor overall health. There have been numerous studies linking depression to the reduction of happiness chemicals such as dopamine and serotonin.
WHAT'S IN OUR LOCAL AREA?
one parent family
Your Clinical Link Worker
Meet Claire Gardiner, Community Link Worker
Based in two GP practices in the North East of Edinburgh my time is split between them providing a holistic service to patients. Referrals come directly from practice staff and I offer an appointment to meet and connect with the person. Together we make an assessment of their needs and discuss a plan. My role includes providing help to access information, support, specialist services or activities in the community which will meet their needs and improve their health and wellbeing.